4 Tablespoons butter
1 C finely chopped onion
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1/3 C flour
1 1/2 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C whole milk
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 1/2 C diced cooked chicken
2 C veggies of your choice …use fresh or frozen that have been thawed
1 Can of ready made biscuits (I used Grands)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a dutch oven and add onion and celery. Saute for 7-8 mins, then add flour. Stir for 1-2 minutes to lightly brown.
2.Whisk chicken stock into pan with onions and celery. When it starts to thicken, add milk and whisk some more.
3. Add spices and the rest of the ingredients and stir together to mix well. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
4. For the next step you can either make biscuits from scratch, make bisquick biscuits, or use canned biscuits.
5. Top the filling mixture with biscuits.
6. Bake at 375 until biscuits are golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly, about 20-30 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Makes 6-8 servings.
Our notes: We used Pillsbury Grands biscuits for this. We also made up the filling the night before. It was really quick and easy to throw everything together in the baking dish after work. We really liked this dish and found it to be a good way to use up some leftover roasted chicken that we had previously frozen.