Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
- 1 1/2 qts. hot water
Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.
Note: We used a ham bone that had a lot of meat on it. We had previously frozen it from a big ham dinner that we had. We started this with the ham bone and ham still frozen. About 2 hours before it would have been done we decided it looked like it needed more water and more peas for the amount of ham in the crock pot (we have a very large crock pot). So we added more water and more peas until it looked like it would be right. We cooked another couple of hours. When it was cooked I used an immersion stick blender to get the consistency we like. We thought it came out really good and we had dinner tonight plus froze three good sized containers for later use.