Depression Era Corn Chowder (from all recipes)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, corn, onion and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are just tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk and butter until butter is just melted. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
Note: I like my chowder to be thick so I thicken this up with some flour and water then cook for another couple of minutes. We serve with oyster crackers and/or crusty bread.