I got the idea for this after looking through some Italian cookbooks. There was a similar recipe using broccoli rabe in one of them and I tried it but did not like the bitterness of the rabe. It also had us saute sausage in butter which I thought was WAY too much fat. So here is my version of that original dish.
All amounts really are to taste. I am going to list out what we did tonight for amounts, but we always just use what we have on hand.
3/4 pound orecchiette cooked aldente
1 pound sausage, removed from casings
1 large bunch of fresh broccoli
5 clove fresh pressed garlic
1. Cook the orecchiette and steam the broccoli (you can do this while you are prepping the sausage).
2. Saute sausage, breaking up into small chunks while doing so. Once sausage is cooked through add garlic and saute a bit more to cook garlic but not brown and make it bitter.
3. Drain orecchiette and set aside.
4. Dice up steamed broccoli into chunks (I personally hate the crowns so we just steam the stems and cut those up, but use whatever you like best) that would be easy to eat.
5. Add orecchiette and broccoli to the pan with the sausage and garlic. Heat through.
6. Serve with fresh or canned parmesan cheese.
Note: I like to saute the whole mixture for longer than just to heat through. I like when some of the orecchiette browns on the edges and becomes crunchy.