I was watching a cooking show the other day where they swirled heated raspberry jam into a a boxed brownie mix and it got me to thinking. I wondered what would happen if I added cherry pie filling and tried to make a Black Forest type of brownie. It didn’t come out bad. Here is my idea:
1 box store bought brownie mix plus ingredients to make them (eggs, water, oil)
1 can cherry pie filling
1. Make up brownie mix according to package instructions.
2. Prepare your baking dish (either butter and flour or wipe with oil). I used a small round deep dish stoneware Pampered Chef baking dish.
3. Pour half of the brownie batter into your baking dish.
4. Pour the cherry pie filling over the brownie batter.
5. Pour the rest of the batter over the cherry pie filling.
6. Bake until done. I am still experimenting on this part. I had no guideline for this since this is something I was kind of winging. I checked the brownies after a half hour and they needed more time(toothpick method). I let them go another 20 minutes and checked again. I thought they needed more time, Dean thought they were done. So we took them out. The could have used more time because the very center wasn’t as done as I would like it.
My thoughts: Next time I will listen to my own instincts and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. So be mindful that you will have to keep checking until you figure out what works for your oven and cookware. These are actually really tasty. Dean and I were also thinking that they might come out good if we used muffin tins and made individual ones. We will try this again and keep tweaking until we get it. Once we get it I will post an update here.