My grandmother and my mother always made this. I always make this to take to picnics and pot lucks and it goes fast!
1 head cabbage
1 large can (or 4 small cans) crushed pineapple
Mayonnaise to taste (enough to just barely coat everything and get it to blend together…amount varies depending on the size of the cabbage)
Sugar to taste
1. Cut, core and shred the cabbage.
2. Drain the pineapple and really squeeze as much juice out of it as you can.
3. Combine the pineapple and cabbage.
4. Add some mayonnaise and toss to coat. Add more if needed. I always start conservatively and add from there since you can always add more but you cannot correct it if you have too much.
5. Add sugar to taste (some people like is sweeter than others, I use just a little sugar) and stir.
This salad is best if made the day before you need it. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I would let it sit for a minimum of a couple of hours from the time you first make it to the time you serve it, but overnight is perfect. Goes GREAT with terryaki! We are having ours tomorrow with peachy bbq crockpot chicken.