My Aunt Barb used to make this for us when we were kids. I knew that it was kind of involved to make this and the icing that goes with it so I shied away from trying to make it for years. I finally decided it was time to give it a try. I think it came out great! While it was involved, it was not really difficult for me. I would say this is an intermediate level recipe. For some reason while I was making this I had it in my head that it only used egg whites (I was probably thinking of the frosting because that has egg whites) so I only used the whites in this. It tastes fine but has a lighter texture. When Aunt Barb made this it had a richer texture, probably from the use of the whole eggs.
Aunt Barb’s Black Midnight Cake
2/3 C soft margarine or butter
1 2/3 C sugar
1. Cream above ingredients together until fluffy. Measure the following dry ingredients into a separate bowl:
2 ¼ C flour
2/3 C cocoa
¼ tsp baking powder
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Add 1 tsp vanilla to 1 1/3 C water.
2. Add the dry ingredients and the vanilla water alternately to the creamed ingredients. Beat with mixer on low speed until well mixed.
3. Grease and flour cake pans (two round or a 9×13 baker).
4. Bake at 350, checking after 35 minutes. Keep checking until done.
5. Ice with a double batch of White Mountain Frosting.