I got inspired to try this from watching some cooking shows where they used pie crust to make a tart crust for a free form tart. I had previously made and blogged a recipe I found on Pinterest for Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries. When shopping for groceries this week we got a great deal on a very large pack of strawberries, so I thought hey I can make that recipe for the cheesecake strawberries into a tart, I bet that would be great. So I decided to give it a try. It looks fantastic and it was really easy. I’ll update this post later on after dinner tonight to let you know how it tasted.
1 premade pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
Strawberries (enough to cover the tart when cut in half)
Splash of Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used two melted Hershey bars because that is what I had on hand)
8 oz of room temperature cream cheese ( I use low-fat)
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1. unroll the pie crust onto a baking sheet and then roughly fold the edges in a little so that it forms a lip. The shape of the tart will be off a bit, it will be a free form looking tart.
2. Poke the bottom of the tart crust with a fork so it doesn’t bubble when it bakes.
3. Bake according to the package directions for a one crust pre-baked pie shell.
4. Once done, remove from oven and let cool while you make the cheesecake filling.
5. Mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until completely combined. refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Wash strawberries, then cut off tops and slice in half lengthwise.
7. Once crust is cool spread the cream cheese mixture onto the crust.
8. Arrange sliced strawberries on top of the cream cheese mixture.
9. Melt chocolate either in the microwave or in a double boiler.
10. Drizzle chocolate over the tart.
11. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Edited to add: We just had dinner and dessert. This was fantastic! We’ll be making it again.