I roast my turkey the way my grandmother and mother have always done it.
1. Remove all giblets etc from inside of the turkey cavity, set aside if you want to roast or cook those later.
2. Melt some butter (how much depends on how big your turkey is).
3. Stuff bird if you are doing so. I always use the heel of the bread to seal the stuffing in at the end.
4. Rub melted butter all over the outside of the bird.
5. Mix together some salt and pepper and sprinkle over the bird…it doesn’t take a lot and I always just eyeball it.
6. Bake at 325. I follow the common guidelines: 15 minutes per pound unstuffed, 18 minutes per pound stuffed. I always keep an eye on the time and also watch the turkey to see how it is coming along, sometimes it is done sooner than the guidelines say. I always check with a meat thermometer to see that it reaches 180 degrees.
Note: I always baste the turkey with its own juices throughout the roasting process
Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 15 minutes before carving.