I got this recipe in a high school cooking class. I haven’t made it is years! It is always a big hit and it looks fancy but it is super easy, really!
1 recipe of chocolate pie filling (two if you are making a larger or deep dish pie)
1 pre-baked pie shell (I always just use a frozen pie shell and bake it off but you can make your own if you prefer)
1 batch fresh whipped cream, whipped to stiff peaks (I whip my own and add powdered sugar and vanilla to it)
1 chocolate bar
1. Bake the pie shell and let cool.
2. Make the chocolate filling and pour into cooled pie shell. Refrigerate to set and cool. I always place a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the pudding mixture and press it right down onto it to avoid the pudding getting a skin on it.
3. Whip the whipped cream to stiff peaks.
4. Put whipped cream into a pastry bag with a large opening star tip then make swirls all over the top of the pie. Use whatever pattern you like. I always add several large swirls around the edges and then one in the middle (see pictures).
5. Place a cherry on top of each of the large swirls.
6. Using a vegetable peeler, shave some of the chocolate bar onto the top of the pie.
7. Refrigerate until ready to serve.